The existing Leominster Public Library occupies a 1910 Carnegie-style building with a small 1966 addition built to the rear. To address the growing demand for larger library space, BAA’s design removed the previous addition, and replaced it with a 35,000 sf new addition to the rear of the 1910 building. The new construction presents a new face and main entrance on Pearl Street, with a corridor linking to the original historic entrance on West Street. The new structure has three levels: The main level houses the new Children’s Room, and an auditorium; The two upper levels feature administrative offices, circulation desk, book stacks, adult reference areas, adult study area, the Robert Cormier Center for Young Adults, a multi-purpose meeting room and the new skylight. The appearance of the addition takes cues from the existing 1910 building by using rusticated buff brick, windows with historic feels, and a mansard roof in order to achieve a perfect blend.
The renovation of the 1910 building restored its historical aspects preserving both its interior and exterior, while also adding modern improvements such as new HVAC and M/E/P/FP systems, a stairway with a ramp for handicapped access, new furnishings, new light fixtures and state-of-the-art equipment. Designed in association with Adams & Smith Architects